Coronavirus- What is it, How it Spreads, and What Preventative Measures could be Taken?
The world has been hit by a health storm-Coronavirus, and this storm is getting bigger and bigger with the passing of each day. There have been a lot of instances when a certain disease has impacted multiple countries gradually, but the impact which this virus has created in the world is simply unmatchable. Originating in China, this virus has moved to many countries, especially owing to the movement of infected individuals from China into their respective countries.
So, let’s get started and know in detail what exactly is this virus and how much distress it has created worldwide as per the reports of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO).
• As of March 5, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 129 cases of coronavirus have been confirmed across the US.
• Going by some other reports, this number has approximately touched 225 in the US.
• If we talk about worldwide cases, almost 95,000 individuals have been diagnosed with the same, with China being the primary country witnessing 3,015 deaths.
• Apart from China, 267 deaths have been reported by coronavirus, with most of them occurring in Iran and Italy.
What is Coronavirus?
• Coronavirus belongs to a huge virus family that mainly affects the respiratory system of animals and human beings.
• The entry of the virus in the body is through the nose, ears, mouth, and even eyes, affecting the respiratory system eventually.
• Its name is derived from Corona, which means a structure like a crown. It has multiple strains, and The 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) strain is the most predominant and ‘in the news’ strain as of now, which first originated in Wuhan, China.
What are the Coronavirus Symptoms?
The symptoms of coronavirus are similar to any illness which occurs as a result of an infected respiratory system.
• These include difficulty breathing, breath shortness, cough, and fever.
• However, there have been a lot of individuals who, despite being affected by the virus, developed no or a few symptoms and also recovered within a few days.
• Also, people who are very young or elders who have a weak immune system develop more symptoms and are the ones who need additional health care.
How does Coronavirus Spreads?
• As of now, the exact reason behind the spreading of coronavirus is unknown, but it is estimated that if a person comes into close contact with someone who is infected, he/she is at risk of developing the same.
• Initially, it was assumed that the spreading of the virus is caused by the contact of animal-to-person, but now the contact of person-to-person has increased a lot.
• Usually, the symptoms appear within 2-14 days of developing this virus, but it is not necessary that if you have been infected with this virus, you will experience any symptoms.
What are the Preventative Measures?
When it comes to taking precautions against the coronavirus, the same approach can be taken as in the case of the flu or cold. This includes the following:
• Avoid direct contact with your mouth, nose, and eyes
• Disinfect the surfaces which you touch
• Stay away from people who are having the most probable illness signs
• Work towards making your immune system strong
• Get enough sleep, eat healthy, and exercise daily
• Try and cover your face with a mask
• Stay back at home if you are not well
• Make sure you cover your sneeze or cough with a tissue
It is recommended that you try to continue following the above-mentioned precautions until health authorities confirm coronavirus is no longer a threat or unless a cure to the illness gets discovered.
What is the Treatment of Coronavirus?
As of now, no specific treatment is available to cure this virus. If you have any of the above mentioned symptoms, please reach out to your primary care provider or visit an urgent care.
We hope that by now, you must have gained valuable insights into the coronavirus illness. It is advised to follow the precautions, as stated above, to avoid getting this virus into your body. You should look around for people who you think have symptoms associated with coronavirus and try to stay away from them as much as possible.
In a nutshell, it is recommended to follow the famous idiom, which states that “precaution is better than cure,”and this holds true in every sphere of life.
- Raise Your Awareness about Colorectal Cancer. It Could Save Your Life
- March is Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month. Know More About It
- 7 Ways To Show Your Love To Your Heart
- 8 Smart Ways to Improve Heart Health Quickly and Naturally
- The Power of Gratitude in Improving Mental Health
- 5 Simple Exercises to Keep Your Heart Healthy & Happy
- What Vitamins and Minerals do Adults Need?
- How to Keep Your Body Active While Working Remotely
- Five Heart Healthy Foods that should be Consumed in Limited Quantities
- Early Symptoms of Liver Problems that You Shouldn't Avoid
- Immunity Enhancing Foods for a Healthy Life
- Hypertension FAQs: Answers to Your High Blood Pressure Questions
- Effective Ways to Achieve Weight Loss While Staying at Home
- Handling Alzheimer’s Disease Effectively - Early Signs and Precautions
- Learn How to Control Blood Sugar with the Right Diet Plan
- Skin Cancer: Types, Symptoms, & Treatments Explained
- Tips to Get the Best Results from Your Urgent Care Visit
- What Is a Primary Care Physician, and Why Do You Need One?
- The Importance of Nutrition and Dietetics for a Healthy Lifestyle
- Know About Foods That Can Help Prevent Diabetes
- Easy-to-do Breathing Exercises to Calm Your Mind and Anxiety
- This Heart Health Month, Know How to Keep Your Heart Strong & Healthy
- Everything You Need to Know About Depression
- Energy Boosting Foods: Fight Cancer, Slow Aging, And Boost Energy
- Tips to Boost Immunity and Stay Healthy During the Winter Season
- Causes of Sleeplessness and Ways to Sleep Well Amid A Pandemic
- Social Isolation in Elderly: Here’ How COVID-19 is Affecting our Aging Adults!
- Breast Cancer- Cause, Prevention, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Cure!
- Why Medicare Open Enrollment Is So Important
- Tips to Stay Safe and Healthy This Flu Season
- Meditation Walk! Learn about its Benefits, Ways of Practice, and More!
- Panic Attacks! Causes, Symptoms, and Treatments Explained!
- Stressed and Overwhelmed? Here might be the Reasons for You to Feel Crisis Fatigue!
- Want to Protect Your Skin this Summer? Here’s How!
- What are the Advantages of Telemedicine?
- 6 Things You Should Know when Visiting a Doctor's Office during a Pandemic!
- How to Follow a Healthy Diet While Sheltering in Place?
- How to Ensure Physical & Mental Health amidst the COVID-19 Lockdown?
- Staying Protected against COVID-19 amidst Essential Errands!
- How to Protect Yourself amidst the COVID-19 Outbreak?
- Seasonal Allergies – What You Need to Know
- Fall Risk in Seniors
- Urgent Care Vs. Emergent Care
- Seniors and Exercise